Cheese Polenta Ingredients
- Corn grits 300 grams
- Purified water 1.5 liters
- Sea salt to taste
- Cheese "Parmesan" 200 grams
- Butter 100 grams in porridge and 20 grams for the mold
- Thyme (dried and ground) to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Main ingredientsCheese, Butter, Corn grits
- World CuisineItalian Cuisine
Kitchen scale, measuring cup (for liquid), deep cauldron with a lid (capacity 4 liters), grater, wooden kitchen spatula, heat-resistant baking dish (diameter 20 by 12 centimeters), oven, stove, tablespoon, kitchen gloves, cutting board , kitchen knife, portioned plate.
Cooking polenta with cheese:
Step 1: prepare the corn grits.
First of all, put on a medium fire a deep non-stick pan with a thick bottom, or better a cauldron with the right amount of water, let it gradually heat up, but it does not boil! Meanwhile, we send corn groats to a deep plate and sort it out, removing any kind of litter. Even in such a small yellowish miracle, not very pleasant villi, as well as pebbles, can come across, so we look carefully!
Step 2: cook the corn porridge.
When the water starts bubbling, add salt to it to taste and begin pour corn groats in a thin stream while stirring the liquid with the dry ingredient with a whisk or a wooden kitchen spatula to prevent lumps from forming.
Then we reduce the level of fire to a minimum and cook porridge, stirring almost continuously for 30 minutes, for which it acquires a thick consistency, will begin to separate from the bottom and walls of the dishes, and will also reach full readiness.
As soon as the porridge is cooked, add about a hundred grams of butter to it, knead it all well and, using a tablespoon, transfer the yellow mass to a small round, square or rectangular non-stick or heat-resistant baking dish, previously greased with a piece of butter. The size of this inventory depends on the thickness and width of the polenta you want to cook. If you want to make thinner, use large dishes, and if thicker, then small, my size was 20 by 12 centimeters. We send the formed polenta to a cool place and completely cool at least for 1, and preferably 2-3 hoursto become denser.
Step 3: prepare the cheese.
After the right time, we take hard cheese, I have Parmesan, and chop it on a large, medium, or fine grater. Then turn on the oven to preheat in 190-200 degrees Celsius and proceed to the next, almost final step.
Step 4: cook the polenta with cheese.
Sprinkle the surface of the cooled, condensed corn porridge to taste with dried thyme, black pepper and crush with chopped hard cheese so that it lies in a thick layer, at least 5-7 millimeters. We put polenta on the middle rack of the oven, heated to the desired temperature, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and forms a delicious crispy crust on top.
Then we pull the kitchen gloves in our hands and rearrange the form with the fragrant dish on a cutting board, previously laid on the countertop. We give the yummy to cool to a warm state, then with a kitchen spatula or knife we divide it into portions of the desired size, distribute them on plates and invite the family to a tasting!
Step 5: serve polenta with cheese.
Polenta with cheese is served hot or warm as a main vegetarian dish or a side dish for dishes of meat, poultry, fish and even game. It is served in different ways, for example, before putting portions on the table, each is decorated with fresh finely chopped greens, seasoned with sour cream, cream or sauces based on milk and vegetables. Well, as an addition to this culinary masterpiece, you can offer vegetable salads, pickles and marinades. Cook with love and enjoy!
Enjoy your meal!
- if lumps formed during polenta cooking, add a little more broth or water, break everything with a kitchen spatula, and the sticky groats will disperse;
- Parmesan can be replaced with feta cheese, Adyghe or any other hard cheese;
- are you going to cook corn porridge in a pan? If yes, then choose dishes with thick walls made of copper or cast iron;
- An alternative to ordinary water - vegetable or any meat broth, in this case the dish will turn out to be more saturated and aromatic. Some housewives add about 200 milliliters of cream to the water, this ingredient gives the polenta a rather gentle creamy aftertaste;
- if desired, after 25 minutes of cooking, you can add half the grated Parmesan or any other hard and soft goat cheese to the porridge and cook the polenta for the remaining time until fully cooked, as indicated in the recipe.