Ingredients for making white cabbage in batter
- White cabbage 1 piece (small, young head of cabbage)
- Vegetable oil as needed
- Sour cream 1/2 cup
- Purified water (cold) 1/2 cup
- Chicken egg 2 pieces
- Wheat flour 7-8 tablespoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Main Ingredients: Cabbage, Eggs, Sour Cream, Flour
- Serving 6 servings
- World Cuisine
Deep pan (4 liter capacity), Kitchen knife, Cutting board, Colander, Deep bowl, Whisk, Dining fork, Stove, Frying pan with lid, Kitchen spatula, Paper kitchen towels, Plate
Preparation of white cabbage in batter:
Step 1: prepare the cabbage.
First of all, put on a strong fire a deep pan filled with ordinary running water, and bring the liquid to a boil.
Meanwhile, we clear a small head of cabbage from the top contaminated leaves and rinse it under a stream of cold water.
Then we dry the vegetable with paper kitchen towels, put on a cutting board and cut the cabbage together with the stalk into slices. Their number depends on the size of the head and varies from 5 to 6 servings.
Step 2: Blanch the cabbage.
After some time, reduce the temperature of the stove to an average level, dip chopped cabbage into boiling water and blanch it for 8 - 10 minutes.
Then we throw it in a colander and leave it on it 15 - 20 minutesso that the excess liquid and pieces of vegetable cool slightly.
Step 3: prepare the batter.
While the cabbage is cooling, prepare the batter. We put the chicken egg in a deep bowl and beat it with a whisk or a table fork until splendid.
Then add sour cream, purified water, salt to taste, ground black pepper and pour sifted wheat flour. We mix all the products until smooth and airy, and then proceed to the next step.
Step 4: fry white cabbage in batter.
We put the pan on medium heat and pour 2 - 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil into it. After a few minutes, in turn, we inject 3 to 4 slices of cabbage onto the fork and dip in batter so that it envelops them from all sides.
Then put the vegetable in hot oil and fry until golden brown on one side, it will take about one minute.
Then, using a kitchen spatula, turn the slices on the other side, cover the pan with a lid and fry the cabbage for another 60 - 80 seconds.
After that, we transfer it to a paper kitchen towel so that it absorbs excess fat, and in the same way we fry the remaining cabbage slices, periodically pouring oil into the pan. We lay out the finished dish in portions on plates and serve to the table.
Step 5: serve white cabbage in batter.
White cabbage in batter is served hot or cold as a main course or side dish for meat, poultry, fish, and also game. It is mainly served with sour cream or sauces based on tomatoes, milk and cream. Enjoy a delicious and simple meal!
Enjoy your meal!
- you can add any fresh or dried greens, chopped garlic, paprika, turmeric, white pepper, allspice, asafoetida to the batter, and these are just a few of all the possible options;
- cabbage can be steamed in a double boiler for 20 - 25 minutes;
- if, nevertheless, the cabbage in the batter turned out to be slightly stiff, and this depends on its variety, put the slices of the vegetable in a greased form, cover it with aluminum foil and bake in the oven preheated to 180 degrees Celsius for 15 to 20 minutes;
- for frying, you can use both vegetable and butter;
- if desired, you can dip the cabbage in batter, then roll in breadcrumbs and then fry, this will make the crust on the vegetable more crispy;
- vegetable broth from cabbage can be used for cooking diet or lean soup.