Ingredients for making bigos with mushrooms
- Bacon (meat fat) 250 grams
- Pork (pulp) 300 grams
- Smoked sausage 100 grams
- Onion 250 grams
- Fresh white cabbage 300 grams
- Sauerkraut 300 grams
- Champignon mushrooms (fresh) 100 grams
Spices and other products:
- Tomato paste 200 grams
- Ground red pepper 10 grams
- Laurel leaf 1-2 pieces
- Caraway to taste
- Marjoram to taste
- Salt to taste
- Purified water as needed
- Main ingredients: Pork, Sausage and sausages, Lard, Cabbage, Onions, Mushrooms
- Serving 1 serving
- World Cuisine
Kitchen scales, Kitchen knife - 3 pieces, Cutting board - 3 pieces, Paper kitchen towels, Deep plate - 6-7 pieces, Bowl, Stove, Frying pan, Cauldron with a lid (capacity 4-5 liters), Kitchen spatula
Cooking bigos with mushrooms:
Step 1: prepare the meat ingredients.
First of all, we wash bacon, pork and sausage under a stream of cold running water. Then, in turn, put them on a cutting board and continue preparation. We remove the film, veins and small bones, if any, from the meat. Then cut it together with bacon with medium sized cubes from 1 to 1.5 centimeters or layers up to 1 centimeter thick.
Remove the food casing from the sausage and chop it with rings, half rings or quarters thick in 1.5-2 centimeters. We lay out the meat ingredients in separate plates and proceed to the next step.
Step 2: prepare vegetables and other ingredients.
Using a clean kitchen knife, peel the onion, peel the root of each mushroom, and remove the top damaged or heavily soiled leaves from fresh cabbage. Then we wash these vegetables and dry them with paper kitchen towels. Then, alternating, put them on a cutting board, chop the cabbage with checkers the size from 2 to 2.5 centimetersdiced onions up to 1 centimeter, champignons thick layers 1.5 centimeters and distribute everything on separate plates.
After that, we put the right amount of sauerkraut in a small bowl and carefully squeeze it from excess juice, if this is not done, the dish will turn out to be too sour. We also move tomato paste, salt and all the spices indicated in the recipe onto the kitchen table.
Step 3: fry the bacon and meat.
Now put on a medium heat a dry deep frying pan and after it is heated, send pieces of bacon to it. Fry them, stirring with a kitchen spatula, until transparent. After that, add pork to the bacon and stew them together until half-cooked meat, approximately 10-12 minutes. As soon as it is browned, transfer the meat products to a clean dish.
Step 4: fry the mushrooms and onions.
We do not remove the pan from the stove and do not drain the fat! We put onions and mushrooms there. First, evaporate moisture from vegetables, stew them 5 minutes, stirring constantly, and transfer to a deep cauldron with the remains of fat.
Step 5: bring the dish to full readiness.
Now add to the onion and mushrooms fried bacon, pork, sausage, as well as two types of cabbage: fresh and pickled. We season everything with a leaf of laurel, to taste red ground pepper, caraway seeds, marjoram and salt. We mix these products to a homogeneous consistency and fill with purified water to half, it should not cover them!
We put the cauldron on a strong fire. After boiling the liquid, reduce it to a small level. Stew our dish under a covered lid about 1 hour, then remove it, add tomato paste to the bigos, mix everything again and cook over medium heat until the moisture is almost completely evaporated, this is approximately 15-20 minutes. Next, turn off the stove, we insist on a fragrant dish 5-7 minutes, lay it on plates and serve to the table.
Step 6: serve the bigos with mushrooms.
Bigos with mushrooms is served hot, but also cold this chic dish has a very pleasant sweet and sour taste, a thick consistency and a very fragrant smell of smoked meats. This dish is served with fresh, only baked bread, pita bread, sour cream, cream or mayonnaise-based sauces. Of course, bigos has been preparing for quite some time, but believe me, it's worth it!
Enjoy your meal!
- in Poland and Latvia, bigos are prepared for the future, laid out in containers or plastic bags and frozen, this dish does not lose its taste after heating;
- very often fresh mushrooms are replaced with dried mushrooms (100 grams), but before that they should be thoroughly washed and soaked in cold water or milk for 2-4 hours. Then squeeze, chop and lightly fry with onion for 2 minutes;
- sometimes stew carrots with onions and mushrooms;
- an excellent substitute for tomato paste - 1/2 cup of table white wine and 3-4 tablespoons of apple jam;
- a set of meat products can be changed to taste, for example, use only two types or supplement with fresh veal, pork tenderloin, cooked sausage;
- the composition of spices is not important, if desired, use any that are added to vegetable or meat dishes.